Labels

Wednesday 29 July 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 66



“So, you want to talk to me,” Enid said smugly.
“I’ve spoken to Adam’s parents,” I said.
“I thought Velvet would organise something,” she muttered.
“It was nice to meet them,” I said. “Now I’d like to meet your parents.”
“I don’t know where they are, haven’t been in touch with them for years,” Enid replied.
“You rang your Mum when Lily died,” I reminded her. “Now you arrange a meeting or I will go to the Fairy Council and ask them to intervene.”
“That’s no way to talk to your Mother,” Enid snapped.
“You are preventing me meeting my Grandparents,” I said.
“I don’t know why you want to meet them, they’re old and,” she looked round for inspiration.
“Old and average?” I suggested. “Are you ashamed of them?”
“No, it’s just,” she paused again.
“I want to see them,” I repeated. “Now, are you going to arrange this or?”
“OK, I’ll do it, but it might take some time,” she replied.
“OK, I want to see them in a weeks time,” I said.
“I think I will need a bit more than a week,” said Enid. “Maybe a month, or a year, they can’t just get here at the drop of a hat.”
“A week,” I repeated. “You are a fairy godmother, if you chose to you could drop a hat and get them here before that hat got to the ground.”
“Yes, I am that good,” Enid smiled.
“So, you can get your parents here in a week,” I said. “And if you keep on trying to procrastinate, I shall change that to tomorrow.”
“OK, a weeks time,” said Enid. “But,”
“No buts,” I interrupted.
“I don’t know what they’d think of you, my own daughter, talking to me, their daughter, like that,” she stuttered with rage.
“We’ll find that one out in a weeks time wont we,” I smiled and walked out of the Fairy Godmother’s office.
“You do still work as a Fairy Godmother,” said Enid as I got to the door.
“Which is more than you do,” I replied.
“I’m sure Violet has some work for you,” Enid replied, looking in Violet’s direction.
“That I have,” said Violet. “I have sent the details to her mobile phone and she is on her way now, aren’t you.”
“Yes,” I smiled and waved my wand.
“As for you,” said Violet to Enid. “Is there any reason for your presence?”
“I think I may have left one or two things here,” said Enid.
“Yes, there’s a box with them in over there,” said Violet pointing at it. “And, could you shut the door on your way out, there’s a cold breeze coming in from somewhere.”
Enid picked up the box and slammed the door on her way out.


The wand took me to a book shop, I don’t know where, but the shop assistant was standing in the middle of it and very few of the books were on the shelves, the place looked as if a hurricane had hit it and hurled the books all around. The assistant kept picking up books, then putting them on shelves, but she didn’t seem to be making a great deal of headway.
“What happened?” I asked, looking round.
“These people came in, something to do with a magazine, they said they were going to take a few photographs in here,” she looked around the room, holding a few books in her hand.
“Why didn’t you tell them to leave?” I asked. “It isn’t as if they own the shop, they don’t do they?”
“No they don’t own the shop and I tried telling them to leave, but she wouldn’t listen, she just pushed me out of the door and locked it,” she shop assistant sighed.
“And now they’ve gone and left the place in a mess,” I said.
“The owner’s going to be in to shut up the shop soon, I’m going to loose my job, I just know I am,” she sat down sobbing.
“This is not your fault,” I stated. “First, you were out numbered, there should be more than just you here to man the shop. What if they had been robbers?”
“If she thinks that I can’t do the job, then I’m going to get the sack,” the girl replied, her sobs increasing.
“Then we need to ask the question, do you want your employer to remonstrate with this arrogant photographer and the magazine woman or do you want the shop tidied up and forget the whole thing ever happened?” I asked.
“I want to make the shop tidy,” she sighed. “But, I’m not sure about forgetting about the whole thing.”
“Yes, they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it, such arrogance, taking over a shop and trashing it,” I said, waving my wand and rising all the books in the air. “You’d better move away from the bookshelves,” I told her.
“OK, but why?” she asked, stepping towards the shop door.
“That’ll do,” I smiled, then I told the books to go home.
“Oh My!” she exclaimed as the books started flapping and heading back to where they had been. There was a great whoosh of air, which raised the dust, I pointed for it to go out of the nearest window and then, when the last book had found it’s place, there was calm once more.
“It would have taken forever to do that,” she sighed. “I can never thank-you enough.”
“That’s OK, just pleased to be able to help,” I replied. “Though I do think we should do something to make them think twice before they do this to someone else.”
“I would like to do something, but the question is what,” said the shop assistant.
“What sort of magazine are they?” I asked, sitting down and thinking.
“I suppose it’s a sort of society magazine, they tell you what and who are in, what to wear, cook and eat, basically, how to live,” said the girl.
“Not the sort of people who would come in here buying books?” I asked.
“Some of the models didn’t seem to know which way up to hold the books, I’m not sure if they even knew how to read,” she replied. “I wouldn’t imagine their readers would know what the inside of a book shop looks like, which is why I don’t know why they wanted to take photo’s in here.”
“It does seem odd,” I agreed. “How about I go to the head office and see if I can find out what this is all about,” I added.
“How would you get in?” she asked. “They have very heavy security in there.”
“I am your Fairy Godmother,” I replied. “Where I want to go, I go, nothing and no one stops me from doing what I want to do.”
“Wow!” she said.
“What’s your name?” I asked. “I don’t feel properly introduced till I know someone’s name.”
“I’m Myrtle,” she muttered. “I know it is a stupid name, but I seem to be stuck with it. By the way, what’s your name?”
“I know how you feel about the name,” I said. “My name is Myrtle and I feel like I have to apologise about it each time I introduce myself.”
“Your called Myrtle too!” the girl stuttered.
“My Mother chose the name for me, then dumped me at the orphanage,” the Fairy Godmother admitted.
“That’s what mine did too,” said the girl. “And it sucks. Worse than that, she now wants me to be friends with her. Like that’s ever going to happen.”
“Mine’s like that as well,” the Fairy Godmother admitted. “What are you going to do about it?”
“I don’t know,” the girl admitted. “Half of me wants to tell her to take a hike, she hasn’t wanted to know me for years, why should I be interested now.”
“But the other half says, for good or bad, she is your Mother and only she has answers to the questions you want to ask.”
“How did you know?” the girl asked.
“It’s how I feel,” I sighed. “Thing is, she doesn’t make it easy to like her.”
“So, what do we do?” the girl asked.
“First we tackle this magazine, it’s about time they knew they aren’t god almighty and we aren’t here just to buy their magazines and do what we are told,” I said.
“Sounds good, but how do we do that?” the girl asked.
“I shall go there and find out what they are doing,” I said.
“And?” she asked.
“Then we will draw up a battle plan,” I said.
“Do you think we’ll get to meet the photographer?” she asked.
“Why, do you want to see him?” I asked.
“He did say sorry for the mess,” she sighed. “And every time I think of him, my brain goes to mush and I start thinking of weddings.”
“You didn’t hit your head on anything did you?” I asked.
“No,” she sighed. “But I would love to hit my lips against his lips.”
“So, you want to see him again?” I asked.
“Oh yes please,” she said.
“OK, I’ll have to factor that into the plan,” I replied.
“Can you do that?” she asked.
“I am a Fairy Godmother, I can do what I want to,” I replied. “I’ll be back,” I added waving my wand and departing before the owner arrived to close up the shop.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment