Labels

Sunday 19 July 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 61



The cups of tea were poured out, no one commented that the teapot didn’t look big enough to fill so many cups. The biscuits were handed round and the plate left on the table for anyone to take a second. Then everyone sat around, not looking at each other, but waiting for someone to say something.
“I am Jessie’s Mother,” she said.
“Thank-you for agreeing to help with Rosie,” said Rosie’s Mother, looking through the patio door to where the two girls were playing.
“I don’t think it was wrong to help,” said Jessie’s Mother. “But I think we went about it the wrong way.”
“I am Ian’s Mother,” she said. “And I think you,” she added looking at Jessie’s Mother. “Should have been more careful when they were being born. Jessie should never have known there were two babies.”
“You all know who I am,” I said. “And I think the mistake was made in not engaging Jessie and Ian in the discussion right at the very beginning.”
“There wasn’t time,” said Rosie’s Mother. “I was in a bad way and Rosie was in danger, she had to be moved straight away.”
“It wouldn’t have taken long to talk to us about it,” said Jessie, holding Ian’s hand. “It would have saved all that subterfuge when Rosie became ill.”
“She’s better now, thanks to the transplant,” said Rosie’s Mother. “So I don’t see that that is an issue.”
“She’d have got the transplant earlier if we had been in on this from the start,” Jessie replied, sticking to her guns. “That would have reduced the risks and made recovery quicker.”
“You are right about that,” said Rosie’s Step-Father. “It would have been better without that wait.”
“It isn’t the way we do things,” Rosie’s Mother tried to explain.
“So, if I had been a fairy?” asked Jessie. “Talk me through what would happen.”
“If you had been a fairy, you would have needed your Mother’s permission to become pregnant,” said Rosie’s Mother.
“Did you need your Mother’s permission?” asked Jessie.
“I am five hundred years old, I am old enough not to need her permission,” Jessie’s Mother replied.
“What went wrong?” asked Jessie.
“Rosie’s Father left me and I couldn’t cope,” she replied. “It was necessary to find someone to carry her.”
“Couldn’t you have chosen a fairy?” Jessie asked.
“I didn’t know any at the right stage of pregnancy,” she replied.
“I was at the right stage,” Jessie said.
“Yes. Also, one of your ancestors was a fairy, so you having some fairy genes in your make up meant it was more likely to succeed,” she said. “I don’t understand the problem.”
“The problem is that you transferred a fetus into me without my permission,” said Jessie.
“Your Mother was OK with it all and you were already carrying one child,” said Rosie’s Mother. “If you had been a fairy you would have just accepted this.”
“I am not a fairy,” said Jessie.
“You are part fairy,” said Rosie’s step-father.
“I am human and it is my body, you should have asked me,” said Jessie, her grip on Ian’s hand had increased and he had a slightly pained expression on his face.
“I think that is where we went wrong,” said Rosie’s Mother. “We forgot that you were human and we should have asked you and not your Mother. If you had been in the know right from the start it would have been simple when Rosie fell ill. Non of the rest would have happened and we are truly sorry that you have been put out in any way.”
“Put out,” said Jessie, slowly. “Someone tried to kill us so that our daughter would go to the children’s home and you could adopt her and therefore Rosie could have a bone marrow transplant.”
“Things got out of hand,” said Jessie’s Mother. “Lily said this was the best way to organise things.”
“What do you have to say for yourself?” Jessie asked her Mother.
“I didn’t think you would know anything about it,” she said. “They promised to make life easier for you after the birth, that life would go smoothly for you.”
“That’s the first I’ve heard of it,” I said. “I’d better get my Mother here to explain,” I added ringing her up. “It’s gone through to voice mail,” I muttered. “She’s avoiding me.”
“Perhaps I should ring her,” said Rosie’s Mother. “Voice mail,” she said.
“Can you lot wait a moment or two whilst I get her?” I asked.
“What if she wont come?” asked Jessie.
“She will,” I said waving my wand.
“You are coming with me,” I told Enid, grabbing her by the arm.
“Why?” she asked.
“You have some explaining to do, there were promises made that I don’t think have been delivered upon,” I replied.
“Lily made those promises,” she sighed.
“And you are her nearest relative, I think, so, you had better start explaining,” I said waving my wand.
“Hello,” said Enid. “I hope you are having less problems with your off spring than I am having with mine,” she added shaking my hand off her arm.
“We have come to the conclusion that we are at error for not discussing the arrangement with Jessie, it is her body and she should make the choices concerning it. She is not a fairy, she is human and they are different,” said Rosie’s Mother. “I would like to thank you for carrying Rosie and for coming to our aid when she needed it.”
“Because of you, I carried her and I couldn’t walk away when she needed help,” said Jessie. “She will always be a part of me, so I want to stay in touch with her.”
“We can understand that,” said Rosie’s Mother.
“I didn’t mean to hurt you,” said Jessie’s Mother. “Lily and Enid’s Mother was the child my great great grandmother carried and that is where the fairy genes came from, the connection which brought them to you.”
“And if you’d handled the birth properly,” said Ian’s Mother.
“They’d have still needed Ella for the bone marrow,” said Ian’s Father.
“Yes, but,” stuttered Ian’s Mother. “All this, it’s all her fault,” she glared at Jessie’s Mother who looked as if she was about to burst into tears.
“The promises Lily made, that Jessie and Ian would have an easy life?” I asked Enid.
“OK, she shouldn’t have made those promises,” said Enid.
“Not if she had no intention to uphold them,” I said.
“It isn’t as if anyone came to any harm,” Enid said.
“Jessie and Ian were both nearly killed, Ella ended up in a children’s home, you caused the family to be divided for a few years,” I said. “No harm!”
“I forgot about that,” said Enid. “I am sorry for the trouble my sister caused you,” she said smiling at Jessie.
“You are Head of the Fairy Council?” Jessie asked.
“I was, but the Council are considering some of the decisions I made,” she sighed. “They may not have been the best thought out.”
“So they are thinking of chucking you out,” said Jessie.
“Just like they were thinking of chucking Lily out,” I said.
“I think she was a bit hasty,” said Enid. “They hadn’t decided. She didn’t have to do what she did.”
“Whatever,” said Jessie. “I want you to go to the Fairy Council and make sure this sort of thing doesn’t happen again.”
“But what if a fairy fetus needs to be re-homed?” asked Rosie’s Mum.
“Then they talk to the one who they want to carry the fetus, not her Mother,” said Jessie.
“I will put that to the council,” said Enid.
“And I will make sure that you do,” I told Enid.
“This is not something open to discussion,” said Jessie. “I don’t want another woman treated the way I have been.”
“I fully understand,” I told Jessie.
“That’s fine then,” said Jessie. “I want to know exactly what they say.”
“We could bring them here to tell you in person,” I said.
“OK,” said Jessie.
“Where does that leave us?” asked Jessie’s Mother cautiously.
“I think I understand why you did it,” said Jessie slowly.
“But I shouldn’t have, not without talking to you,” she said.
No, you shouldn’t, and this is going to take a long time to heal,” said Jessie. “But you are my Mother and I do want you and Dad in my life, in my children’s lives. I just don’t want you taking over.
“Thank-you,” said Jessie’s Mother.
“I still think,” Ian’s Mother started to say.
“That you don’t know when to shut up,” said Ian’s Father.
“What!” she said, looking stunned.
“I am sorry there has been bad blood between us,” Ian’s Father said to Ian and Jessie.
“I understand, you felt the need to defend Mum,” said Ian.
“Yes, even if I didn’t agree with her,” Ian’s Father replied.
“Is this sorted?” asked Enid yawning.
“I think so,” said Jessie.
“Mothers!” I muttered.
“Tell me about them,” Jessie sighed.
“Mummy,” said Ella. “When is lunch time? Rosie and I are very hungry.”
“If that’s the case, lunch time is now,” said Jessie. “If you wouldn’t all mind helping to put the food on the table.
“That’s easy,” said Enid waving her wand and a table was set in the garden with all the food arranged on it, plus a bit extra. It was in a fairy tent garlanded with flowers surrounded by the most comfortable chairs and side tables, with fairies ready to serve the food.
“Well, if our neighbours start telling everyone about this, no one will ever believe another word they say,” Jessie smiled.
“And the easy life that was promised?” I asked Enid.
“They will have it and more,” said Enid. “Lily shouldn’t have promised it, but I will make sure it happens from now.”
“So they get their happy ever after?” I asked.
“Yes,” said Enid. “They deserve it,” she added watching as everyone moved out into the garden. “And us?” she asked quietly.
“You know who I want to know,” I said. “But we will talk about it tomorrow.”

by Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment