Labels

Friday 10 July 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 58



“Joy,” said Jessie thoughtfully.
“It’s just a thought,” I said.
“Joy,” she said again looking at the baby who smiled back and reached out her hands as if asking to be picked up. Jessie picked her up. “Joy?” she asked and the baby hugged her. “Joy it is,” Jessie smiled. “As long as no one has any objections?”
“I think it’s a beautiful name,” said Ella.
“It sums her up perfectly,” said Ian.
“That’s settled then,” said Jessie.
“So when do you get to come home?” asked Ella.
“First your Mum needs to have a bath, then she is seen by the consultants and if they say there are no problems, then she can go home with you,” said the nurse.
“That’s going to take forever,” Ella replied.
“It will do if we stand here talking about it,” said the nurse whilst Jessie gathered up all the things she needed. “Baby needs a bath too,” she added.
“Why don’t Dad and I bath her,” said Ella. “That will speed things up a bit.”
“Sounds like a good idea,” said the nurse. “The baby bathing room is through there.”
“What about Myrtle?” asked Ian.
“I can get everything packed up ready to leave,” I replied, not sure how I would managed bathing a baby, I’d avoided it so far, I didn’t think it would be a good place to learn, in front of a load of new mothers.


“I don’t think you are allowed to leave till we give the say,” said someone in a white coat.
“I think you have the wrong person,” I replied.
“I don’t make mistakes,” he replied sounding rather annoyed.
“Well, you have done now,” said Jessie. “My friend Myrtle was just getting my things organised whilst I had a bath.”
“I see,” he said, turning to the nurse. “Why didn’t you say something?” he snapped. She burst into tears and ran out of the ward. “Blasted nuisance these girls,” he said. “One sharp word and they run off crying.”
“She’s doing her best,” I said.
“Well it isn’t good enough,” he replied.
“She isn’t going to learn if you keep snapping at her,” I insisted.
“And why should that bother me?” he asked.
“Well, if no one wants to work with you, they may find it easier to replace you,” I smiled.
“Yes, well,” he muttered.
“It is unprofessional to take out your anger on those who can’t answer back,” I persisted.
“And who asked your opinion?” he asked.
“No one,” I replied. “But I’m giving it all the same, because you are an arrogant egotist and if I don’t tell you no one will because they are being too polite.”
“And you don’t care who you upset,” he replied.
“I think you could be a good person, if you just dropped the ego and remembered that you are dealing with people,” I explained.
“Well, thank-you,” he said. “Now if you don’t mind, I have a patient to examine.”
“Of course not,” I smiled. “Good luck,” I said to Jessie as I drew the curtains around her bed.


The curtains were being pulled back when Ian, Ella and baby Joy came back from the baby bathroom.
“Am I correct in assuming that this is your baby, her elder sister and your husband?” he asked Jessie.
“You are,” she smiled.
“Good,” he said. “I wouldn’t want to make the same mistake twice.”
“Can Mummy and Joy come home?” asked Ella
“We have decided to call the baby Joy,” Jessie explained.
“A very nice name,” said the consultant, checking Joy over. “Yes, you can both go home and I hope Joy is a joy to all of you.”
“Thank-you,” said Ian.
“There will be some paperwork for you to sign, but a nurse will be in with it shortly,” he replied and headed off to the next bed.
“If we take the stuff to go, to the car,” I suggested. “It will make things easier once the papers have been signed.”
“Sounds like a good idea,” said Ian, picking up a few bags.
It didn’t take long to get everything to the car, though there did seem to be a lot of things needing to be washed.
“If you like, I can wait here whilst you can get Ella, Joy and Jessie,” I said when I saw him looking round a bit uncertain.
“That would be good,” he said. “I want to get Jessie and Joy in quickly, there’s a bit of a chill wind and I don’t want either of them to catch a cold.”
“You go,” I smiled. “I can have the car door open as soon as I see you.” He smiled and headed back to the ward.
“Have they chosen a name yet,” said Enid, sitting on the wing.
“Careful, you might dent it,” I said.
“Are you calling me fat?” she snapped. “Or the wing thin?”
“What are you doing here?” I asked, not bothering to answer her question.
“Can’t a Mother visit her daughter?” she asked, trying to sound hurt.
“Sounds like a leading question,” I replied. “I think the answer has to be, it depends on the Mother and daughter.”
“And what do you mean by that?” she snapped.
“Any other Mother and daughter, I wouldn’t have any problems,” I smiled. “But this is you and me we are a talking about, so what are you doing here?”
“I was just wondering how things were going,” she said trying to sound innocent and failing.
“You could have rung or sent a text,” I said. “You know I keep my phone with me at all times.”
“You could have rung me,” she replied trying to sound hurt.
“You still haven’t answered the question,” I replied. “What are you doing here.”
“I was wondering if you’d had time to talk to them about the grandparents?” she asked.
“No, not as yet,” I replied.
“I could ask them if you want,” she said.
“I don’t want,” I snapped. “You are about as subtle as a ton of bricks being hurled from the tenth floor.”
“There’s no need to be like that,” Enid said, trying to sound hurt.
“I will talk to them about Grandparents when they are in the right mood and not before,” I explained. “And when I have done, I will let you know what they think.”
“If that’s the best,” she said, as I caught sight of the little family leaving the building with the baby in a strawberry pot carried by Ian.
“That’s all you are getting, now, you need to go,” I snapped.
“You’ll be in touch?” she asked.
“As soon as I have an answer,” I replied.
“I’ll hold you to that,” Enid replied, with a quick wave of her wand she was gone.
“Was that your Mother?” Ian asked after we settled Jessie and Joy into the car.
“I’ve told her to stay away till I ask her to come,” I replied.
“If she’s being a pest, I can have a word with her,” Ian replied.
“It’s OK, I can deal with her,” I smiled, still wondering what on earth she was playing at.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment