Labels

Friday 3 July 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 56



“I don’t want breakfast, I want to see Mummy,” shouted Ella.
“You don’t get to see your Mum till you’ve had your breakfast,” I explained for the millionth time that morning.
“Daddy?” Ella said as he walked into the kitchen. He didn’t look as if he’d had much sleep, though I had waved my wand in that direction.
“It is as Myrtle says,” her Dad yawned.
“Then you’d better have breakfast as well,” said Ella. “Mummy is going to be very worried if you turn up at the hospital looking like that!”
“I think I’ve been told,” Ian said, looking rather surprised.
“She’s right,” I replied. “What would you like for breakfast?”
“You aught to eat as well,” Ella said looking at me.
“I think I’ve been told to,” I smiled.
“I think toast would be good,” said Ian.
“Right,” I said. “Toast and coffee. I’ll get started.”
“The coffee might waken me up a bit,” Ian said, filling the kettle. “I’ll give you a hand, we can get presentable after breakfast.”
“We don’t want to spill anything down ourselves,” said Ella. “And you will do if we get ready first,” she added looking at her Dad.


We were at the ward door waiting for visiting to start, looking much more presentable than any of us had at breakfast.
“A word in your ear,” said Enid, slipping out of a side room.
“You aren’t wanted,” I hissed, hoping that Ella and Ian hadn’t seen her, fortunately they were busy trying to see through the ward door to see if they could spot Jessie.
“The grandparents should be here,” hissed Ella.
“That is not our decision to make,” I told her.
“But,” started Enid.
“I know what Jessie’s mother did to upset her,” I replied. “I don’t know what the others did or didn’t do, but it is for Jessie and Ian to decide when they want them back in their lives. If we try to push them together it could ruin things completely.”
“But,” Enid persisted.
“No ifs or buts,” I said. “A lot of these problems have been caused by us sticking our noses in where they weren’t wanted. They aren’t going to be improved by us sticking our noses in again.”
“If that’s what you say,” Enid sniffed.
“Yes, now go before anyone sees you,” I replied as a nurse came to open the ward door and the crowd of waiting people surged through.
“There’s Mummy,” squealed Ella, dashing off down the ward. “Mummy I’ve drawn some pictures for you.” Ian and I arrived at the bed a few seconds after Ella, but she was already busy talking to her Mother, telling her about the pictures, so Ian checked up on the baby, gazing into her eyes and lifting her out of the cot.
“You are so beautiful,” he whispered. “Have you had any time to think of a name?” he asked Jessie.
“I thought of naming her after you,” Jessie smiled looking at me. “But, I’m sorry to say, I can’t remember what your name is.”
“Don’t worry,” I sighed. “I didn’t remember what it was till my Mother reminded me about it recently and I wouldn’t wish Myrtle on anyone.”
“Myrtle! What sort of name is that!” asked Jessie.
“What do people call you?” asked Ian.
“The Fairy Godmother,” I smiled, it did seem rather lame as I said it.
“What would you like to be called?” asked Ella.
“I hadn’t thought about it,” I replied. “But I think she should have a name of her own,” I said smiling at the baby.
“So we are back to baby,” smiled Ian.
“I’m sure something will come to mind,” I said, as a nurse walked up.
“It’s time for you to have a bath,” the nurse told Jessie.
“Do I have to?” asked Jessie.
“It’s important to keep the wound clean,” said the nurse.
“We’ll look after baby,” said Ian.
“Thanks,” said Jessie easing herself out of the bed, she didn’t look too keen on moving, but the nurse helped her gather her things together and take her to the bathroom.
“Why does Mummy have a wound?” asked Ella, not an easy question to answer.
“The birth didn’t go so easy,” said Ian. “Do you know what a Caesarian is, have they told you about that at school?”
“Yes,” Ella frowned. “Did Mum have one?”
“Yes,” said Ian, looking relieved at not having to explain it. I felt a little disappointed, I’d have to find out about that one myself, perhaps one of the pregnancy books I’d noticed lying around might have it in.
“Then we will have to do even more for her when she gets home,” said Ella. “Mummy will need to rest and concentrate on baby. I think she needs a name, a pretty name.”
“Have you got any ideas for a name?” I asked looking over at baby.
“I could look up names beginning with M,” Ella suggested. “There could be something amongst them Mum might like.”
“That’s an idea,” said Ian sitting down next to the cot with baby in, she was fast asleep and no one wanted to disturb her, though I suspect all of us wanted to pick her up and make a fuss of her.


It was late when we got back.
“I kept thinking they were going to throw us out,” said Ian as he pulled up in front of the house.
“They did, in the end,” I replied.
“Not till 9pm,” he said turning the engine off. The sound of Ella snoring replaced the sound of the engine.
“I thought she’d gone quiet,” Ian laughed, picking her out of the child seat. “Someone needs to be in bed.”
“She isn’t the only one,” I replied yawning.
“Where will you sleep?” asked Ian.
“You don’t need to worry about me,” I replied. “I will be fine, I meant you.”
“I am fine,” he started saying. “OK, you’re right, I’m all in,” he admitted. “But Ella and.”
“I shall keep an eye on Ella and the phone,” I assured him. “If anything happens you will be the first to know.”
“But you are tired, you must be,” he said.
“I am the Fairy Godmother,” I said. “I don’t need to sleep, much. I’ll be fine.”
“I’m too tired to argue,” he said as we tucked Ella into her bed.
“Good night,” I said, arranging the phones within reach and sitting down in a chair next to Ella.
“Good night,” he said going back to his room.
“You can’t keep this up,” said Enid, sitting herself on the chair arm.
“As long as everything goes OK Jessie will be home in three days,” I said.
“And then what?” asked Enid.
“I shall help out until they have got used to having baby around,” I replied.
“Haven’t they thought of a name yet?” Enid asked, changing the subject as always.
“Jessie wanted to call her after me,” I said. “But when she found out that you lumbered me with the name of Myrtle she changed her mind.”
“I don’t see anything wrong with Myrtle, as a name,” said Enid trying to sound offended.
“Is that why even the fairies at the nursery didn’t use it?” I asked. “Do you have any idea what it’s been like growing up without a name. Hell, it was used so little, I forgot I had one.”
“And now you know what it is,” said Enid. “You could at least thank me for that.”
“For reminding me that my name is Myrtle! I wish you hadn’t bothered,” I said.
“Do you want me to keep an eye on the little one whilst you get some sleep?” asked Enid, changing the subject again.
“I know your mothering instincts and your boredom threshold, you’d wander off after half an hour,” I replied. “I said I’d look after Ella and keep an eye on the phones and that is what I’m going to do.”
“Are you suggesting I might not be up to the job?” Enid asked sounding somewhat miffed.
“No suggestion in it,” I replied.
“I should think not,” she said.
“You aren’t up to the job, never have been, never will be. At least with me you had the sense to give me to someone else to look after,” I said.
“I have never been so insulted,” she bustled.
“You let me down,” I replied. “I’m not doing that to anyone in my charge.”
With a wave of her wand she was gone.
“Good riddance,” I muttered.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment