Labels

Sunday 31 May 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 47


“Good morning Violet,” I yawned as soon as I was solidly in the office. The intention had been to walk over there for 6am, but the alarm clock had failed to go off, either that or I’d failed to set it and it was now 7am and I was feeling guilty. I used my wand to get to the office, I had a feeling that Enid might be doing her bit to show that Violet couldn’t handle the job and she has never been one to wait for things to go wrong.
“So, everything is under control Wallflower?” Violet said, waving at her mobile to show she was on the phone.
“We have alternative suppliers already organised, there will be no interruption in our work,” Wallflower replied.
“Thank-you,” said Violet, ending the call.
“And what are you doing about the laundrette?” demanded Enid flinging the office doors open and marching in. It’s times like this that I can see her being a very good bad fairy, she has all the presence, the dramatic entrances and the voice for it.
“What about the laundrette?” I asked.
“The company that has supplied them for as long as I can remember has refused to renew their contract and has stopped sending all the cleaning products that they have been sending us,” said Enid.
“I was negotiating that contract four days ago and they were more than happy with their continued association with us,” I said.
“I spoke to them and they weren’t in the least bit happy,” said Enid sounding flustered. In the background I saw Violet on her mobile.
“When did you speak to them?” I asked.
“Does it matter when I spoke to them,” Enid snapped. “They were most unhappy with the way the Department was handling the negotiations.”
“Of course it matters,” I replied. “And why were you talking to them, this is a department contract, it is for us to organise, it is not in the remit of the Fairy Council. It is also something that you haven’t bothered about sorting before, so why did you get involved now?”
“The laundry deals with all departments, it is therefore important to the Council that it runs smoothly,” said Enid.
“I have just been on the phone to our usual suppliers,” said Violet. “They were quite happy with the contract, as organised last week, but they got a phone call from the Head of the Fairy Council saying that all materials supplied must go through a rigorous testing procedure before they would be permitted to be sold to us. This would take at least four years and the contract was void until it was done. As you can imagine, they were not amused, it being 4am didn’t improve matters.”
“I was reading through Council regulations with regard to suppliers,” said Enid.
“That is with regard to new suppliers and products,” Violet replied. “Continuation of contract does not require such testing and anyway, the products have already undergone those tests or we wouldn’t be using them.”
“I see,” said Enid. “That doesn’t alter the fact that we have a supply problem on our hands, what are you going to do about it?”
“A problem of your creating,” I said, but I don’t think anyone was listening.
“I have had other suppliers lined up because I think it is unwise to be dependent on one company,” said Violet. “As we are speaking, they are sending supplies to us.”
“Have they gone through the proper testing procedures?” asked Enid.
“Of course they have,” Violet replied.
“How long have you been organising this,” Enid yelled.
“I raised the problem with the Head of the Laundry a few years ago, when there was a delay in supplies and suggested that she needed a few alternative suppliers, on hand, in case there were problems again. She thought it was a good idea,” said Violet.
“And how come I wasn’t told about it?” Enid demanded.
“If I remember rightly,” Violet replied. “We put the idea to you at the time, you yawned before we’d even got through a quarter of what we were telling you and told us that you didn’t want to be bothered with little details like that and to get on with it.”
“I don’t remember that,” Enid replied, not sounding quiet so sure of herself.
“It sounds highly likely,” I replied.
“And who asked your opinion?” Enid snapped, back to her usual self.
“In case you have forgotten, I am the one who is overseeing the change to our new Head of Department,” I said. “The one who arranged the contract that you just trashed.”
“It wasn’t a very good contract,” said Enid.
“Really, it was identical to the previous one, which you organised,” I shouted.
“We are getting off the point,” said Enid glaring at me.
“And what is that point?” asked Violet.
“The supply of washing stuff to the laundrette,” Enid replied. “It doesn’t take them long to get though however much they’ve got and then what will we do?”
“I have organised alternative supplies and when we have finished here, the Fairy Godmother and I will go to the original suppliers and see what can be done as far as they are concerned,” Violet replied.
“I see,” said Enid. “Well, as Head of the Fairy Council, I will expect a full report on this debacle by the end of the day.”
“It will be done,” said Violet. “Now if you don’t mind we have some bridges to build.”
“I shall leave you to it,” she said and with a wave of her wand she was gone.
“I thought she might try something,” I sighed. “But I thought she’d give you a few hours to get settled in first.”
“Technically, she did wait till 4am,” said Violet. “I just didn’t think she’d use the laundrette, it’s an area she tries to avoid.”
“We’d better go,” I sighed.


Two hours later Violet had talked the supplier round to signing a slightly amended version of the contract that I had got them to sign, the amendment was a twenty percent discount as a regular customer.
“The report?” I asked when we got back to the office.
“I have been taking notes,” said Violet, looking at her mobile phone. I was wondering what she had been doing, all that taping on her mobile. “The report is mostly sketched out, I just need to firm up on a few of the details and then submit it to the Fairy Council.”
“Sounds easy,” I said.
“There is no point in making more of the job than is necessary,” Violet smiled. “What do you think she will try next.”
“The canteen,” I said, checking my phone to see if I had missed any messages. It lit up like a Christmas tree. “I was right!”
“Same thing?” Violet asked looking at my phone.
“They should be preparing lunch and they haven’t had any deliveries,” I sighed.
“Don’t worry, I’ll see to it,” Violet smiled, clicking on her contacts list and heading towards the canteen. I followed behind, because I felt that I should be doing something, even if I didn’t know what.
“Buttercup, how’s the garden growing?” Violet asked.
“Great,” came the reply. “Couldn’t be better, we have veg coming out of our ears.”
“Enough to feed everyone this lunch time?” asked Violet.
“And more,” came the reply.
“When can you get them to the canteen by?” asked Violet.
“All we have to do is pick them up,” said Buttercup. “We can get the first load to you in five minutes, if the canteen staff are prepared to help, the rest wont be far behind.”
“That’s great,” said Violet. “Start them coming,” she added as we walked into the canteen. “You have a problem,” Violet said to Maud, the lady in charge.
“Lunch is in two hours time and we have no food,” Maud replied.
“I have a solution,” said Violet stepping to one side as the first of the veg arrived.
“Good,” said Maud. “My people can deal with this whilst we find out what caused this problem.”
“Or who,” I said.
“You think it was Enid as well?” asked Maud.
“Who else?” I asked.
“The first day and she’s doing this,” said Violet. “Do you still think I am the right person for the job.”
“You’ve had an answer for everything she’s thrown at you,” I replied. “I couldn’t think of anyone better.”

by Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment