Labels

Sunday 24 May 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 44


So, the invitations were well received. Ethel kept an eye on the internet to make sure there wasn’t anyone annoyed with not getting an one. The day dawned bright and sunny, Enid and I went to check up on how things were progressing.
“I do think you could have made a bit of an effort with your dress,” Enid said as she waved her wand and we arrived at the castle.
“I went out and bought this outfit especially for the occasion,” I said.
“And it looks perfect,” said the Princess, smiling at me, her face fell slightly when she noticed what Enid was wearing and then dropped completely when both babies threw up down their christening robes.
“My wife has been explaining about the change in fashion,” said the King, looking somewhat flustered. “And going by what she has explained, you are in the height of fashion.”
“There,” I smiled at Enid. “Royal approval.”
“Can you do anything with those two?” the King asked his daughter. She glanced in my direction, whilst trying to mop both her sons. I waved my wand and their last meal was no longer there, the robes were pristine.
“I wish I could have one of those,” the Princess sighed.
“I’m still not used to this sort of thing,” the King sighed. “But I am trying, as with the fashions,” he said nodding to Enid. “My heart says that that gown is perfect for a Christening but I know that the Fairy Godmother’s apparel will fit in more with what all the others will be wearing. Anyway, I came here for a progress report, now I’d better pass it on to the Queen.”
“Why didn’t you say something about my dress,” Enid snapped.
“You were too busy criticising what I was wearing,” I replied.
“Does it matter?” asked the Princess. “We need to find some thing else for you to wear and quickly.”
“Yes,” said Enid. I waved my wand and changed the style to something a little more en-trend.
“That will be perfect,” said the Princess. “The blue of the hat really accentuates the colour of your eyes, makes them so much more animated.”
“Are you sure this is alright?” asked Enid looking at her feet, ankles and the lower half of her legs, probably the first time they’d seen daylight in years.
“You have very good legs,” the Princess assured her. “You should show them off more,” she added as a servant walked in.
“They are ready to start the Christening,” he smiled.
“Then we had better go,” said the Princess. “Can’t keep everyone waiting.”
“That didn’t used to be a problem,” Enid whispered.
“Good luck,” I said. “Not that you’ll need it, of course.”
“Even the best prepared could do with a bit of luck,” smiled the Princess.


Three hours later, as we waved good-bye to the last of the guests the Princess heaved a great sigh of relief.
“So glad it has gone off well,” she sighed.
“I can see one of the advantages of these modern does,” said the King.
“What’s that?” asked the Princess, turning the pram around in readiness for there return into the castle.
“You don’t have to entertain the guest for quite so long,” he replied.
“We had some guests for over a week before your Christening,” said the Queen. “It was really quite draining, all that advice about child care from women who wouldn’t know which end of the baby to put a nappy on, let alone how to do it.”
“Did you change my nappy?” asked the Princess.
“I intended to, but everyone around me kept saying that was the job of the wet nurse and the nanny,” sighed the Queen.
“I don’t remember you wanting to do anything,” said the King, the Queen cuffed him on the back of the head.
“Like you’d know,” she said.
“All I remember is you telling the wet nurse to take it away,” said King.
“Mum!” said the Princess.
“They were different times,” said the Queen. “It was the way we were brought up, we were expected to be the companion of the ruler, not a child minder.”
“So was I,” said the Princess. “But, somehow, when they were born and handed to me, they were so precious, I didn’t want to entrust their care to anyone else,” she added gazing at them. “Anyway, it’s time for you two to have a feed.”
“I really think you could let us organise a wet nurse,” said the King.
“It was good enough for me,” said her Mother.
“But it isn’t for me,” said the Princess.
“I don’t think we should get involved in this,” said Enid.
“I think it’s time we left,” I told the King. “Enid has Council things to deal with, I have a report to write, you know how to contact us should you need to.”
“Thank-you,” said the King. “I think I need to talk to the gardeners about something.”
“The bio-digester,” I suggested.
“That was it,” said the King. “I was wondering how long it would take to get through all the ivy, it is nice seeing the stone work again, though I was surprised to see that the stuff had actually grown into the stone, the stone masons have their work cut out for them.”
“We’ll leave you to it,” I smiled, waving my wand and getting us back to the office.
“I think we should have stayed to say our good-byes to the Queen and her daughter,” said Enid.
“I think if we had done, we’d have ended up in the middle of a row,” I replied. “We don’t want the day to end badly.”
“I shall bow to your judgement on that one,” said Enid. “Since my judgement was so far out.”
“I think you were taking your fashion hints from the wrong generation,” I said. “The Queen is getting the hang of things, but the King is still living in the past with regards to clothes.”
“That is why I think you would make a great Head of department,” said Enid.
“Not doing it,” I replied.
“Can you give me one good reason why not?” asked Enid.
“Because there is too much admin and not enough seeing a problem through from beginning to end,” I explained.
“You could always allocate yourself a job,” said Enid.
“It wouldn’t work,” I replied.
“I don’t see why not,” said Enid.
“Because I’d always have to be on hand to sort out anything that came up,” I replied. “You can’t concentrate on the work in hand if you could be dragged away at any point to sort out something totally different.”
“I know what you mean,” said Enid as her phone pinged to tell her there was a text waiting to be read.
“Shouldn’t you answer that?” I asked.
“It’s the Council, they want to know how much longer the Christening is going to take,” she sighed. “Something has come up!”
“Then you had better go,” I said.
“But the Head of the Fairy Godmothers,” said Enid. “It’s pretty obvious I can’t do both jobs.”
“Should go to someone who is into admin,” I said. “Not necessarily someone you would send out to sort something.”
“I see,” sighed Enid. “And Ethel?” she asked.
“I’ll go and talk to her,” I said. “This has been a bit of a set back to her, it could be that she would prefer to work in the background, doing the computer stuff, someone for the Godmothers to ask for technical support.”
“See what she says,” said Enid. “I don’t want her to be confused or frightened.”
“Of course,” I smiled as she disappeared off to the council. I would just like to know why Ethel’s state of mind is so important to her.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment