Labels

Saturday 9 May 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 37


“Not important!” I shouted at Enid as she waved her wand and we reappeared in her office. “How can you say something like that and dismiss it as not important?”
The others in the office looked up and disappeared quickly, I think they knew that now was not a good time to be there.
“Your Mother couldn’t carry you, so I took over,” said Enid. “It’s not that important.”
“It is to me,” I shouted.
“You are being hysterical,” Enid replied and with a wave of her wand I found myself in a small white walled, ceiling and floored room, with no windows or doors. It had nothing in it, not even a light, though soft light was being emitted from all surfaces.
“You can’t do this to me,” I shouted hitting my hand on the nearest wall. It was surprisingly soft considering.
“The room wont allow you to hurt yourself, so there is no purpose in hitting it,” said Enid.
“There is plenty of reason to hit it,” I said, throwing myself of the floor and pounding it. The floor took the pounding without hurting my hands or my feet. After ten minutes, I gave up, rolled over onto my back and lay there.
“I told you that was pointless,” she said.
“So was sending me here,” I replied.
“You were hysterical,” she said.
“And now I see clearly,” I replied. “You are no more my mother than the kettle and you have no more feelings for me than anything else you use.”
“I have never used you,” shouted Enid. “I have always done my best for you, I have been protecting you from criticism for years.”
“If that’s your idea of looking after me, I’d hate to be on your wrong side,” I shouted back. “And who was it that was criticising me anyway.”
“Lily,” Enid admitted grudgingly. “She thought I was stupid for taking you on.”
“Lily!” I shouted. “Aunty Lily, the one who caused all these problems in the first place.”
“She didn’t cause the problems, she was trying to solve them,” Enid tried to explain.
“The one who isn’t here to answer for her meddling,” I snapped.
“I will not have you talking like that about her,” said Enid, appearing in the room next to me.
“Seems like I’m the last person to be considered in all of this,” I replied glaring at her.
“I think you’ve been amongst humans too much, they have contaminated you with ideas of happy families,” said Enid, sighing.
“I wouldn’t say they were all happy,” I said. “I would imagine Jessie will have a few things to say to her Mother when she next meets her.”
“Why?” asked Enid.
“Giving someone permission to drop in an extra baby,” I said.
“That was supposed to be removed after birth and she was never supposed to see her,” said Enid.
“And that is supposed to make her feel better?” I asked.
“I don’t see that it was anything to do with her,” Enid replied.
“Nothing to do with her, carrying two babies instead of one!” I snapped.
“It wouldn’t have made much of a demand on her,” said Enid.
“And you would know?” I asked.
“I carried you for six months and I barely noticed you were there,” said Enid.
“That isn’t the way with humans, being pregnant takes quite a bit out of them and can be quite risky,” I replied.
“She was pregnant anyway,” said Enid.
“The more babies the greater the risk,” I replied. “She should have been told, it is her life.”
“Maybe,” Enid agreed grudgingly. “But that wasn’t my decision.”
“No,” I agreed. “But you didn’t even see why she should have been part of that decision, so if you were in the same position you would do just the same.”
“This is getting us nowhere,” said Enid trying to close down the subject.
“And where do you want to go?” I asked. “You put me in here, there are no exits and I still don’t have my wand back. I would have thought you should be asking the council for that at least after all, I can’t do my job properly without it.”
“You were managing better than I thought you would,” said Enid.
“You haven’t answered my question, where do you want to go,” I asked, my eyes following her pacing the room.
“I need to think,” she said and with a wave of her wand she was gone.
“That’s typical of you,” I yelled at nothing. “You never answer the important questions.”
“You aren’t the only person under my care,” she replied.
“But I’m the one you gave birth to,” I replied. “Not that that means anything to you.”
“You were taken to the nursery as soon as you were born,” Enid replied. “I wasn’t needed.”
“Did you even see me?” I asked.
“It wasn’t considered necessary,” she replied.
“Did you want to see me?” I asked.
“It’s a long time ago, I don’t remember,” she replied. “Now, I have work to do.”
“So do I,” I snapped, though I didn’t know what it was.
“I shall sort that out,” Enid replied.
“Always have to have the last word,” I thought, but there was no reply, I did consider thumping the floor, but it did nothing, so I went to sleep.


I woke up somewhere else, on a very dusty roof beam if I wasn’t mistaken. I sat up carefully and peered over the edge to the Hall of the Fairy Council, which seemed like a long way down.
“And to what do we owe the pleasure of your presence?” asked the fairy who had demanded our presence earlier.
“I have come here to request that the council return the wand to one of my Fairy Godmothers,” said Enid. “The last head of council took the wand away as punishment for over use, but in my judgement she has learned the error of her ways and will be more circumspect in her use of it from now on.”
“So you think the punishment should be lifted?” the fair asked.
“Yes,” Enid replied. “She can not perform her job to full efficiency until it is returned.”
“Your request will be considered,” the fairy replied, returning her gaze to the paperwork which she had been dealing with when Enid had walked in.
“And when will I get a decision?” Enid asked.
“Good question,” I thought, wondering what the answer would be.
“In due time,” the fairy snapped. “We have other things to do.”
“Such as?” asked Enid, never one to waste words.
“We need a new head of the council,” the fairy replied. “In case you hadn’t noticed, we are missing one.”
“Hard to tell, since you are sitting in Lily’s seat,” Enid replied. “I assumed you had taken on the job.”
“I would not do such a thing,” she replied indignantly.
“What options do you have?” Enid asked. I presume she was hoping to sort that problem out in order to speed up the return of my wand.
“Yours was the only name that came up,” sighed the fairy. “We have been looking through the possible options, but as yet there are none.”
“Are you saying either I take on the job or the Council sits in limbo?” asked Enid.
“About sums it up,” said the fairy.
“And what about my job?” Enid asked.
“Job?” the fairy looked confused.
“I am the head of the Fairy Godmothers?” Enid asked.
“I’m sure you could do both,” the fairy smiled. “You are good at getting things done.”
“Looks like I’ll have to,” Enid replied. “Now, get out of my chair, we have work to do.”
“Yes,” said the fairy quickly shifting herself to the chair furthest away from Enid.
“Right, we have work to do,” Enid said to the whole of the council, whilst flying over the table and settling herself in Lily’s chair. “These cushions can go,” she added flinging them across the room. “I have no intention of making myself too comfortable.”
“They’re going to wish they hadn’t done this,” I thought.
“And you,” Enid said looking up to the rafters. I floated down, trying to look like I had every right to be there.
“Here is your wand,” Enid said. “Use it with care, you don’t want it taken away again.”
“Of course,” I said.
“You have work to do,” Enid replied.
“I’m on my way,” I said heading for the door.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment