Labels

Saturday 30 May 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 46



“It’s been four days,” said Violet when I came back to the office after doing a quick round to make sure everything was running smoothly. They were all smiles and I had been assured by everyone that they’d let me know if there where any problems.
“What has?” I asked raking my brain to remember what she was talking about.
“Enid said that she would come up with a name for the new Head of the Fairy Godmothers by the end of the week, that was on Monday. It’s been four days and she hasn’t said anything,” Violet said looking intently at me.
“I’ll give her a ring and remind her,” I said, picking up my mobile phone and ringing her.
“Can’t this wait,” Enid snapped. “I’m in the middle of a council meeting.”
“You promised a name by the end of the week,” I said.
“I know,” Enid snapped.
“And the week is coming to a close,” I reminded her.
“I’ll give it a bit of thought and if I come up with something I’ll let you know on Monday,” said Enid.
“Not good enough,” Violet said, she was standing close enough to hear what Enid said.
“Who was that, I thought I heard someone else talking,” Enid said to me, followed by, “I’m on the telephone talking about something important, could you at least give me a minute to deal with it.”
“I agree with Violet,” I said, Violet smiled at the name check. “That is not good enough.”
“I don’t see why not,” said Enid. “Whatever gets decided now, nothing is going to happen till Monday, so why not think about it over the weekend and come up with a well thought out cause of action, on Monday.
“That creates delay, Monday will become Tuesday, which will become Wednesday, then Thursday, Friday and then the next week,” said Violet. “It is better to make a choice now and then it is like pushing a snowball down a hill.”
“I’ve never seen becoming the Head of the Fairy Godmothers as being anything like pushing a snowball down a hill,” said Enid.
“You know what Violet means, so don’t pull that sort of stunt,” I replied.
“You’re still there,” said Enid. “I thought I was talking to Violet.”
“We need a name, we need someone to be nominated as Head of the Fairy Godmother department and we need it now,” I told Enid. Violet smiled broadly.
“I need time to think this through,” said Enid. “Are you sure you don’t want the job, you’d hit the ground running, so to speak. You know the ropes and you know where everything is, how everything runs.”
“If I wanted the job, I’d already be doing it,” I replied.
“You are already doing it,” said Violet.
“Only on a temporary basis,” I replied. “And I put a time scale on how temporary,” I reminded Enid. “I want a name by the end of today.”
“Would that be normal end of business or when the Council finishes?” asked Enid. “Because we have a very full schedule.”
“And you are not beyond extending things till it’s too late and the day carries on over the whole of the weekend,” Violet responded.
“Such cynicism in one so young,” said Enid trying to sound shocked.
“I am 130years old,” said Violet. “And I’ve seen you do this before.”
“But I haven’t seen you call me out on it,” said Enid.
“It was my birthday last week and I’m getting tired of being sweet little Violet, pat her on the head and give her something simple to do,” Violet replied.
“Would you like to be Head of the Fairy Godmothers?” I asked.
“Yes,” said Violet. “I think I could bring some order to the role, anticipating problems before they happen by Fairy Godmothers being allocated to certain people for the whole of their lives, that way they are on hand at the first sign of trouble rather than having to turn up, like the 7th cavalry, to save the day.”
“You were talking about a month to work with the new Head whilst she got used to the job?” asked Enid.
“I am prepared to extend that by a couple of weeks, should it seem necessary,” I replied.
“It will not be necessary,” said Violet. “I have studded this job for several years and I have a lot of ideas on how it could be done better.”
“I think you have a new Head,” I said.
“The day has not yet ended,” said Enid.
“You have till midnight to suggest an alternative,” I replied.
“What if I come up with one?” asked Enid.
“Then we will run them in tandem and see who does the better job,” I replied.
“OK,” said Enid and hung up.
“Do you think she will come up with anyone?” asked Violet.
“I don’t know,” I said. “Though I can’t think of anyone else who would want to do it.”
“I see it as a challenge, getting the best out of such a variety of people, fitting each job to the one most likely to bring about the right conclusion,” said Violet sounding more animated than I had ever heard her.
“As far as I’m concerned, you’ve got the job,” I smiled, just glad that I could see an end to all this time in the office and the chance of another job, which hopefully I could do by myself.


Midnight was striking when Enid turned up with Ivy.
“I think Ivy would make a great Head of the Fairy Godmothers,” said Enid, pushing they young Fairy Godmother forward.
“It’s late,” she said looking around her, a little uncertain. “I should be back at the dormitory checking up on the cherubs.”
“Then you’d better go,” I said. “Is that the best you could do?” I asked Enid. “She obviously didn’t know why you brought her here, that is hardly fair.”
“Nothing personal,” Enid said, nodding to Violet. “But I don’t thing Violet would be any good at the job.”
“Nothing personal,” Violet replied. “But I don’t think you were any good at the job, the department has been running a lot smoother since you’ve been gone. If the Fairy Godmother wanted to be Head, I’d be more than happy to back her because she knows what she is doing. You never have and never will do or you wouldn’t have brought Ivy here. She is a good Fairy Godmother, but she has found her niche in this department looking after the cherubs, she does a very good job of it, but has no ambition to do anything more.”
“I think, if she was given a chance at the job, she could see how rewarding it can be,” said Enid.
“In other words, she didn’t want to do it,” I said quickly, I was beginning to feel as though I had to say things quickly just to get them in there at all.
“She would have grown into it,” Enid admitted.
“I will grow into the job, with the Fairy Godmothers support,” said Violet.
“I think you will, too,” I replied. “And as you haven’t brought anyone here as an alternative, I say that Violet has the job.”
“As a probationary for one month,” Enid agreed grudgingly.
“Is this one calender month or one lunar month?” asked Violet.
“Does it make a difference?” asked Enid.
“Of course it does,” I sighed.
“We will go for one calender month, but the trial can be stopped at any point if I think that the candidate is failing,” said Enid.
“Is that OK?” I asked Violet.
“Fine by me,” Violet replied. “I see no problems.”
“OK,” I replied, not as sure of things as Violet.
“We will see about that,” smiled Enid, vanishing just like the Cheshire cat, there was something about her smile that unsettled me.
“Best get a good nights sleep,” I told Violet. “I have my suspicions that tomorrow will by busy.”

by Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment