Labels

Wednesday 21 July 2021

The Fairy Godmother Part 123

 


“So, could you run through exactly what we are doing?” asked James.

“It’s very simple,” said Enid. “We are going to see your parents.”

“Will I be introduced to them or is it just pointing them out in the street or something in between?” James asked.

“They own a small art gallery,” Enid explained. “When I saw them, I walked in and started talking to them about an artist I know asking if they ever got anything by him, that sort of thing.”

“Was that Dad you were asking about?” asked Myrtle.

“I don’t know many artists,” said Enid. “And it’s always been easy to talk about his work.”

“So we are going to their gallery with you?” asked James. “I don’t know anything about art!”

“You know what you like,” said Myrtle.

“Yes, but what if I like all the wrong things?” snapped James.

“If they are the wrong things, then they wont be in their art gallery,” said Enid. “So you wont be asking questions about them.”

“I just don’t want them to think that I am a complete idiot,” said James.

“They wont,” said Myrtle. “Perhaps it would be an idea to go now,” she added to Enid.

“Of course,” smiled Enid, giving her wand a quick twitch.

“Where are we?” asked James.

“A small alley just opposite the art gallery,” said Enid. “I didn’t think it would be a good idea to just materialize in there, it can confuse people.”

“Yes, but which town are we in, I don’t recognise this place at all,” said James.

“Of course you don’t, it’s about five hundred miles from the hospital, highly unlikely that you would ever bump into them by accident,” Enid explained.

“Shall we go in,” said Myrtle. “It’s a bit colder here than it was back home and Ethel may be good with the kids, but I’d rather not push it.”

“Ethel will be fine,” said Enid. “She can always ring Velvet if she has any problems.”

“I think it might have been better to leave them with her, at least she knows what she’s doing,” said Myrtle.

“And she happens to be very busy,” said Enid. “I know that she’d drop everything to help you, but you shouldn’t take advantage of that.”

“You aren’t jealous of Velvet?” asked James.

“Why on earth would I be jealous of her?” asked Enid.

“Because we are more likely to turn to her for childcare advice,” said Myrtle.

“She has more hands on experience of children than I do,” said Enid. “She would be the one I would turn to for advice, if I needed any.”

“I think we should go to the gallery,” said James. “Before I loose my nerve.”

“Follow me, I’ll show you round,” said Enid, heading towards the gallery.

“Hello,” said a woman. “We were just opening up, would you like to come in.”

“That would be good,” said Myrtle, trying not to shiver.

“It is a bit chilly out there,” said the woman, trying to pretend she hadn’t noticed that their clothes were not quite suitable for the time of year.

“We are on holiday,” said Enid.

“And packed the wrong clothes,” said Myrtle.

“You said it would be sunny,” said James.

“The sun is shining,” said Enid.

“But it isn’t warm,” said Myrtle. “More crisp and frosty, than anything else.”

“My husband is laying a fire in the grate,” said the woman. “You could warm up by that as soon as it catches.”

“That is very kind of you,” said Myrtle. “Do you think he would mind if we watched. I think it is magical when the fire takes hold.”

“To see the little spark expand and take hold,” said the woman. “Of course he wouldn’t mind, follow me,” she added. Soon they were standing round, handing things to him and generally making encouraging noises, whilst Myrtle put a little bit of magic towards getting the fire lit.

“It’s taken much quicker than usual and it’s really putting out some heat,” said the man standing back and looking at it.

“Does it usually take longer?” asked James.

“I’m not the best fire starter in the world,” the man laughed and then paused for a moment. “You’re not from round here are you?” he added.

“No, why?” asked James.

“You could pass as a double for our eldest son,” the woman sighed.

“Everyone has a double,” said the man rather quickly. “There’s no reason why Mark’s double wont walk in here.”

“Of course not,” said the woman. “I’m sure you came here for more than a fire lighting demo and a warm hearth. Is there anything in particular that you would like to see, or would you just like to look around and see what takes your eye.”

“I think if we just wander round,” said Myrtle.

“If there’s anything you want to ask,” said the man. “Don’t hesitate.”

“Is everything on the ground floor or are there others?” asked James.

“We have two floors of gallery space,” said the woman. “It might be an idea to start at the top and work down,” she added pointing to the stairs.

“Come on dearest,” said Myrtle, taking hold of James’s hand and leading the way up the stairs, with Enid bringing up the rear.

“I’m sure I remember the elder lady,” said the woman.

“She was here about a year ago asking about, I’ve forgotten what the artist was called. It’s so annoying when I can’t remember things,” he said.

“It’s alright James, you remember most things,” said his wife.

“I know Mary, but for a moment I thought it was Mark in the shop,” he sighed. “Then I remembered his twin.”

“I know they told us that he was dead,” sighed Mary. “But I miss him so every day.”

“I know what you mean,” sighed James. “They said we would forget.”

“I never have,” said Mary. “I can see him, in my minds eye.”

“Still, we have to remember, this isn’t him, it’s just a chance that they look the same, nothing more than that,” said James.



“We shouldn’t be eves dropping like this,” James hissed to Myrtle.

“It tells you all you want to know, I would have thought,” said Enid. “Without actually asking them.”

“It tells me that I was stolen from them, probably at birth, and that I have a twin brother who looks just like me,” said James.

“Except they named you after your father and not him,” said Enid.

“Just being here has raked up memories of loosing me,” said James. “I didn’t want to hurt them.”

“We could just tell them who you are,” said Myrtle. “They obviously miss you.”

“I don’t know if I can do this to them,” said James.

“What answer their questions or leave them in the lurch?” asked Enid.

“There’s something about this painting,” said Myrtle, pointing to one that she was standing next to. “Something about the way that the artist has captured the light and the expression on the peoples face, like they’ve lost something they can’t talk about.”

“That’s one of our son Mark’s paintings,” said the man.

“I told him not to put that one up, but he insisted,” said the woman, looking flustered.

“It’s a lovely painting,” said Myrtle. “It’s of you, isn’t it?”

“I think he’s been very flattering,” said the woman. “I didn’t think anyone would recognise us from it.”

“He has a good eye for detail,” said Enid.

“Is this a self portrait?” asked James, pointing to the picture next to it.

“Yes,” said a voice from the stairs. “Though you could tell people that it was of you and no one would be any the wiser.”

“Mark!” said his Mum. “What are you doing here?”

“I got the strange feeling that you would want me here,” Mark smiled, his eyes on Myrtle’s James. “What are you doing here?”

“I came here looking for my birth parents,” said James. “I think that would be you two. I hope you don’t mind.”

“I would have known you anywhere,” said Mark, giving him a big hug.

“My baby,” sobbed Mary.

“Son!” said James, senior.

“I think that’s my phone,” said Myrtle, answering her phone.

“I’m not sure what’s wrong with the twins,” said Ethel. “They wont stop laughing. I rang Velvet, but she just said to enjoy the fact that they aren’t crying.”

“Is it the twins?” her husband asked.

“They are laughing, Ethel is confused,” said Myrtle.

“You have twins?” asked Mark.

“Yes, it’s the first time we’ve left them with a baby sitter,” said Myrtle. “Ethel is more used to working with computers than babies,” she added glaring at Enid.

“My wife and I are expecting twins soon!” said Mark.

“We should all meet up and talk babies,” said Myrtle. “But, if you don’t mind, I’d like to get back and check up on my two.”

“We should swap phone numbers and addresses,” said James. “I don’t want to loose touch with you ever again.”

“Of course,” said Enid. “I’ll forward all the contact details to you,” she added looking at her phone as if the intensity of her look would said the information on to them.

“I think you tap that,” said Mary.

“Look at your Mother, she knows how to do something with the phone,” laughed James senior.

“There, I’ve got them,” said Mary looking at her phone. “There’s something else come through.”

“I thought I’d include some photos of the babies,” said Enid. “From one Granny to another.”

“They are totally adorable,” said Mary.

“We’d better get back,” said Myrtle as she got another call from Ethel.


By Janice Nye © 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment