Labels

Saturday 31 July 2021

The Fairy Godmother Part 124


“Did I do the right thing?” asked James as they materialised back in their flat.

“How can you doubt it?” asked Myrtle. “You saw the looks on their faces, they couldn’t have been happier to see you.”

“I know, but,” he said and stopped.

“I’m sorry we had to come back,” said Myrtle looking round. “But Ethel did sound to be out of her depth.”

“And now she is nowhere to be seen,” said James looking round a strangely quiet living room.

“No need to panic,” said Enid.

“She’s not answering her phone,” said Myrtle. “Yes she is,” she added.

“No she isn’t,” said James. “It was on the kitchen work surface.”

“She might have gone out and forgotten it,” Enid suggested.

“Gone out without the changing bag!” said Myrtle.

“She can’t have gone far,” said Enid. “Probably thought the nappies would hold till they got back.”

“Our two can fill a nappy in seconds,” said James. “She’d have been back by know if it was going to be that quick.”

“There was wand activity, just after Ethel rang,” said Myrtle. “I’ve got a trace.”

“Let’s go,” said James and Enid together.

“You have no right to do this,” shouted Myrtle, before checking that the twins were OK.

“You are getting slow,” said Ivy. “I thought you’d be here a good two minutes ago.”

“What the hell have you done this for,” shouted Enid.

“I have been waiting for an invite to meet you new Grandchildren,” said Ivy.

“Like that was ever going to happen,” said Enid.

“OK, so we haven’t exactly been close, in the past,” said Ivy. “But I’ve changed and I’d like to meet the family and that includes these two little lovelies.”

“In what way have you changed?” asked Myrtle. “You wanted something and you took. I don’t see any change there.”

“We need to talk, like a family,” said Ivy.

“Families don’t go round kidnapping babies,” said Myrtle.

“Some do,” said James.

“Unfortunately, he’s right,” said Enid.

“Happy families don’t go round kidnapping babies, they talk to each other and come to visit, they don’t wait for an invitation that will never arrive, especially not now,” said Myrtle, waving her wand and taking them, Ethel and the twins back home.

“Perhaps I should talk to her,” said Enid thoughtfully.

“That is up to you,” said Myrtle. “But if you do, tell her that I never want to see her ever again and that if she comes anywhere near my two she will turn into something unpleasant.”

“I think she is that already,” said Ethel. “I’m really sorry. One second I was in the kitchen with the twins, next I was there and I didn’t have my phone or my wand with me.”

“How many times have you been told to always keep one or both on your person at all times,” snapped Myrtle.

“Never,” said Enid.

“Well take this as a first, and never make me have to remind you, with either of those we can trace you easily,” Myrtle snapped.

“You were pretty quick as it was,” said Ethel. “Ivy may have said she wasn’t impressed, but I was.”

“I’m sorry,” said Myrtle. “This must have been frightening for you.”

“But not as frightening as it was for you,” said Ethel. “I think you need a more experienced baby sitter. I’d better go.”

“No, you were fine as a baby sitter, right to the point that Ivy stuck her oar in,” said Myrtle. “And there was nothing you or anyone else could have done when that happened. You should stay and we can look after them together.”

“If you’re sure,” said Ethel.

“Of course she is sure,” said Enid. “Meanwhile, I shall go and talk to that sister of mine.”



“You couldn’t have just sent me a text or something,” Enid said to Ivy.

“I didn’t think you’d answer,” said Ivy.

“You could have tried,” Enid replied.

“My phone’s been on the blink, I send a text and it doesn’t go to the right place,” said Ivy.

“Give that thing to me,” said Enid, holding out her hand for the phone. To her surprise Ivy handed it over to her. “You’ve got my number and Natasha's swapped.”

“Does that matter?” asked Ivy.

“It means any text you think you are sending to me is actually going to Natasha and visa versa,” Enid explained.

“I thought it was a smart phone,” Ivy muttered.

“Doesn’t mean that it will send it to the right number when you tell it to send it to the wrong one,” said Enid, correcting the numbers on the phone.

“Thank-you,” said Ivy.

“If you want to see them again, send me a text and I will see what can be organised,” said Enid.

“It shouldn’t be like this, I shouldn’t have to make an appointment to see my, great nephew and niece, I think that is what they are,” said Ivy.

“You’re the one who muddied the waters by kidnapping her babies and their baby sitter,” said Enid. “It’s going to take a lot of persuasion before she even lets you in the same room as them.”

“They’re ever so lovely, almost makes you wish for some more yourself,” said Ivy. “I could quite see me with a baby bump, couldn’t you.”

“Grow up and act your age,” snapped Enid. “A baby is for life, it isn’t a fashion accessory to be taken to the charity shop when the fashions change.”

“That’s what you did with Myrtle,” said Ivy.

“I’ve grown up since then,” said Enid. “And it’s about time you did as well.”

“Yes Granny,” said Ivy.

“You are impossible,” said Enid.

“And you are being so serious,” said Ivy.

“Well, when you are serious about connecting with the family, send me a text and I’ll see what I can organise,” said Enid. “In the meantime, stay clear because I have never seen Myrtle that angry.”

“You think her being angry is going to stop me doing anything?” asked Ivy.

“It should do, remember, she is related to you, you do share some genetic material, what you did might unlock something that you wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of,” said Enid.

“Hadn’t thought of that,” said Ivy.

“And she’s cleaver enough to use her mobile phone to track her babies down,” said Enid.

“OK, I’ll back off, but I give you a month to sort out a meeting for me with Myrtle and the twins,” said Ivy.

“I’ll do my best,” said Enid.

“You have a month, if I haven’t seen them by then, then I shall take things into my hands,” said Ivy.


By Janice Nye © 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment