Labels

Saturday 26 June 2021

The Fairy Godmother Part 122


“I am stunned,” said James.

“Sorry about that,” said Myrtle. “I would like to say that you caught them on a bad day, but,” she shrugged her shoulders.

“That’s them on a good day,” sighed Enid. “I think they must be moderating in their old age.”

“Moderating!” stuttered James.

“Why do you think we went off to get married without them?” asked Myrtle. “They didn’t even want me there when they planned my wedding.”

“I thought you were exaggerating it a little,” he said.

“At least you just got Natasha and Malcolm,” Myrtle replied. “I got all the women on Natasha’s side of the family, at least I think it was all, hard to tell with them, I don’t think even Natasha and Malcolm know how many descendent they have.”

“That wouldn’t surprise me, I wasn’t in contact with them for several years after you were born and they wouldn’t know if I’d had any other children in that time and there may be some siblings I don’t know about,” said Enid.

“And then you think I should try and find my family,” said James, slowly shaking his head.

“It wouldn’t take much doing,” said Enid.

“I don’t even have their names on my birth certificate,” said James.

“Have you seen it?” asked Enid.

“No, but the people at the orphanage said there were no names on it,” he replied.

“They lied,” said Enid. “I’ve seen it and their names are on it.”

“Why would they lie?” asked James.

“Because the policy was that when a child was taken for adoption, all ties between the child and birth parents would be cut,” said Enid.

“So how come I found you?” asked Myrtle.

“I suppose I wanted you to find me,” said Enid.

“That’s nice to know,” Myrtle stuttered.

“You’ve seen my birth certificate?” James asked Enid.

“I had to check that you weren’t a relation,” said Enid. “You know what our family is like.”

“You were checking up on James?” asked Myrtle. “And what would you have done if you had found out that he was related.”

“I’d have told you,” said Enid.

“You know who my parents are?” asked James.

“Yes,” said Enid. “I went to see them, they are a really nice couple.”

“Did you mention me!” asked James.

“No, I didn’t think that would be acceptable, not before I spoke to you,” said Enid.

“And when were you going to do that?” asked Myrtle.

“I was looking for a suitable time,” said Enid. “Today seemed to be that time.”

“Could you take me to see them?” asked James.

“Any time,” said Enid. “But today may not be the time. I think you need to talk this through, yourselves.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you,” said Myrtle.

“I do my best,” smiled Enid.

“You usually decide what is best and do it, regardless of what anyone else thinks,” said Myrtle.

“So, I’ve learnt a few things from you,” said Enid. “Let me know when you’ve talked this through,” she added, slowly fading away.

“That was strange,” said James. “Nearly as strange as that smell.”

“We’ll take one each,” said Myrtle. “Then, perhaps a cup of tea and a talk.”



“I didn’t think a nappy could hold that much!” said James as they sat down with their cups of tea.

“They couldn’t,” said Myrtle. “Or at least Catherine’s couldn’t. It was coming out at the legs. Good job we didn’t stay at Natasha and Malcolm’s to change them, God knows what they would have said.”

“Do you really think she’ll put him in a home if he gets incontinent?” asked James.

“Probably before, if she suspects something,” said Myrtle. “Natasha doesn’t like her home messed up.”

“But what about his home?” asked James.

“As far as I know he lives with her, it is her home,” said Myrtle. “She is the one with the big career, I don’t know what he does.”

“I see,” said James.

“What’s wrong?” asked Myrtle.

“Well, this is your home,” said James.

“You moved in here with me because it was sensible,” said Myrtle. “The rooms you had near the hospital wouldn’t have been big enough to put a double bed in, let alone house the twins and there was a strict rule about only one occupant.”

“Yes,” said James. “But it is just in your name.”

“There are two options,” said Myrtle. “We could put it in joint names or we could move somewhere else and have that in joint names.”

“Moving house is difficult,” said James.

“Changing to joint ownership would be simpler,” said Myrtle. “Next question, your parents, have you thought about them?”

“I’ve only just found out that it would be possible to find them,” he said.

“And?” asked Myrtle. “Haven’t you ever been the least bit curious about them?”

“I used to dream of them turning up at the orphanage, telling me it was all one great big mistake and then taking me home,” he sighed.

“But?” Myrtle asked.

“The sun would rise on another day, just like the last, and nothing changed,” he sighed.

“You could ask them what happened,” said Myrtle.

“But what if I don’t like what they say?” he replied. “What if they just didn’t want me.”

“At least you’d know,” said Myrtle. “And you could decide if you want them.”

“You don’t understand,” said James.

“It took ages for Enid to admit to being my Mother,” Myrtle replied. “She banned my Father from having any contact and as for the rest of the family. You know what they are like.”

“So why do you want to know them?” he asked.

“Because they are family and this way I can keep an eye on what they are up to. Not knowing who they were didn’t stop me from ending up in hospital thanks to them, perhaps if I know who they are I’ll be more alert for traps,” said Myrtle. “You could start of by just seeing them, then you can decide if you want to be introduced to them.”

“Perhaps it would be nice to see them,” said James.

“You can find out if you have any brothers or sisters,” said Myrtle.

“OK,” said James. “Tell your Mother tomorrow and we will see what happens.”



by Janice Nye © 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment