Labels

Wednesday 14 April 2021

The Fairy Godmother Part 115


“Wake up,” said James, shaking her shoulder.

“What?” muttered Myrtle trying to open her eyes.

“You were having a bad dream,” said James.

“I went to the wedding and things were going wrong,” said Myrtle sitting up slowly. “What day is it?” she asked.

“Today is the day of the wedding,” smiled James. “You set the alarm for half an hours time.”

“I may as well get up now,” said Myrtle, sitting up slowly.

“What was happening in your dream?” asked James.

“I can’t remember,” said Myrtle. “Why do you want to know?”

“Just in case there’s something to look our for,” said James.

“Such as?” asked Myrtle.

“If the big green giant turns up, stay out doors because he hates it when he can’t join in,” said James. “Any useful tips like that.”

“There weren’t any green giants in my dream,” said Myrtle. “Least I don’t think there were. It was one of those annoying dreams which fades out of your memory as soon as you wake up,” she added standing up and heading for the bathroom.

“You could have another half an hour in bed,” James called after her.

“Then the alarm will wake me up and I’ll be more tired than I am now, if that’s possible,” sighed Myrtle.

“Good morning Myrtle,” Enid called from the living room.

“Could you talk to her?” asked James.

“I’ll try,” said Myrtle. “But you know what she’s like for listening.”

“She thinks that is what other people do when she starts talking,” sighed James.

“Exactly,” said Myrtle. “I’ll go and talk to her now,” she added.

“Couldn’t you make her wait a bit?” asked James.

“Only if you want her to walk in here,” said Myrtle, putting on her dressing gown and walking into the living room.

“Aren’t you ready yet!” snapped Enid.

“I don’t want to spill my breakfast over the dress I intend to wear,” said Myrtle.

“Is that likely to happen?” asked Enid.

“I have spilt quite a bit over the last few days,” said Myrtle. “I think it’s due to me not being able to see my feet and tripping up over things that I hadn’t realised were on the floor.”

“I see,” said Enid. “I don’t remember having that problem when I was expecting you.”

“It was a few years ago,” said Myrtle. Finding a mug that had been left on the carpet before all the contents had been emptied. “I don’t remember leaving that there,” she said looking at the mess the mug was making of the carpet.

“Sorry, I meant to put that in the kitchen,” said James, joining them in the living room. Myrtle marvelled at how quickly he’d managed to pull on his clothes.

“Who was that on the phone?” Myrtle asked.

“Work, sorry, but I’m going to have to go in. There’s an emergency on going,” he sighed.

“This is the only time Myrtle has asked you to do something,” snapped Enid.

“It’s alright,” said Myrtle, I understand.”

“But,” shouted Enid.

“It’s James’s work,” Myrtle explained to her Mother. “Just as he can’t expect me to drop everything for him, I can’t expect him to drop everything for me.”

“If I could, I’d be there by your side,” said James. “But I can’t get out of this.”

“I understand,” said Myrtle. “I’ll let you know how things are going and bring you back a piece of wedding cake.”

“Thanks,” said James, pulling on his coat. “I have to go now.”

“Don’t say anything, Mother,” said Myrtle as the door closed after Enid. “I shall get my breakfast, get changed and then we can go.”



Megan was busy helping Princess August with her dress when they arrived.

“We’ll see you in the church,” Myrtle smiled and they both headed of to the chapel.

“I don’t see why we couldn’t have stopped in there,” said Enid. “I like being at the heart of things.”

“There were enough people there helping her get everything ready,” sighed Myrtle. “I got the impression we would just be in the way.”

“We could drop in on the groom,” Enid suggested.

“I don’t think that would be a good idea,” replied Myrtle, sitting down in a seat reserved for them. “The guests are starting to arrive, I don’t want someone to pinch our seats.”

“They wouldn’t dare,” said Enid. “They should know that it isn’t a good idea to upset a fairy godmother.”

“Of course mother,” said Myrtle, looking around.

“Would you like a glass of water?” one of the ushers asked Myrtle, looking slightly anxious.”

“Thank-you, that is very kind of you,” said Myrtle taking the glass that was being proffered and taking a long sip of water.

“He’s been hovering near us since we got to this chapel,” said Enid.

“He’s probably been asked to keep an eye on us and make sure we are OK,” said Myrtle, the water picking her up a little.

“I don’t know why,” snapped Enid.

“They probably want to make sure everything goes smoothly and make sure no one upsets the Fairy Godmothers,” sighed Myrtle wishing her Mother would just shut up for a minute or two. She smiled in the direction of the groom and his best man, someone Myrtle hadn’t seen before, with Liam gone it was hard for her to think of who it was who had taken his role as best man.

Then the organist started to play, the guests stood up and all eyes turned to the door which was opening wide, Princess August looked radiant as she walked down the aisle on the arm of King Augustus.

“He should count himself lucky that he’s even allowed to be here,” muttered Enid.

“This is Rufus and Augusts wedding day,” said Myrtle. “I don’t want you doing or saying anything that is going to disrupt that.”

“What do you think I am?” asked Enid. “I didn’t get where I am today by being insensitive to people’s feelings.”

“Of course not,” sighed Myrtle, wondering how much longer the service was going to take because the chapel was getting overly hot and she had a stitch in her stomach that was getting difficult to ignore.

The vows were exchanged, the register signed and the happy couple had left the chapel for the obligatory photos.

“Are you going to sit here all day?” asked Enid. “They’ll be wanting us for the photos.”

“Of course,” said Myrtle slowly standing up and walking out of the chapel into the bright sunshine.

“Myrtle, please, stand next to me,” said August waving her over towards a small group standing in front of the photographer.

“Coming,” smiled Enid. “Can’t you walk any faster than that?” she asked Myrtle.

“Are you alright?” August asked Myrtle as the photographer got ready for the photo.

“Just a bit of a stitch,” sighed Myrtle, smiling for the camera.

The flash went off, the photo was taken and Myrtle sank to the floor.

“I am a midwife,” said one of the people from the group. “If you don’t mind me saying, I think you are about to give birth.”

“But it isn’t due for another month,” said Myrtle.

“Babies come when they come,” smiled the midwife. “They don’t follow our timetables.”

“James, I must tell him,” said Myrtle.

“Is that your husband?” asked the midwife.

“Of course it’s her husband,” snapped Enid. “Though why she should want him now, I don’t know.”

“He’s my husband and I want him at the birth,” said Myrtle, ringing him.

“Is this important?” James asked.

“I’ve gone into labour,” said Myrtle.

“Can you get here?” James asked.

“Does that answer your question?” Myrtle asked looking up at him.

“Nurse, we need to get this patient to maternity,” he said looking round him.

“If you can help her into this wheel chair,” said the nurse pushing it over. “I’ll get her to the delivery ward.”


“Does this James know anything about births?” asked the midwife.

“He’s a Doctor and he’s at the hospital,” said Enid. “If he doesn’t know, I’m sure he can find someone there who will know.”

“That’s OK then,” smiled the midwife and headed back to join the other guests.

“Will she be OK?” August asked.

“She’ll be fine, the baby isn’t due for another month, she’s probably just got trapped wind or something, nothing to make a fuss about,” said Enid.

“If you want to go and check up on her,” said August.

“No, she’ll be fine and she’ll want to know about the wedding breakfast, the speeches and everything she’s missing,” said Enid. “She’ll probably want a piece of wedding cake for her and James.”


By Janice Nye © 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment