Labels

Monday 31 August 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 74



I tried Juliet and Georgie’s flat first, I didn’t think that they would still be in work, so it seemed the logical place to start. The lights were out and the flat was empty and cold.
Next I tried the book shop, on the off chance that they were working late, for some reason, maybe a late delivery of books. Likewise, lights out and no one home.
I went to the magazine’s offices. The editor was working late, but then he tended to.
“Looking for the young ones?” he asked, looking up from what he was doing.
“I had an idea for the next magazine,” I said.
“Good job someone has,” he smiled. “One magazine might make a splash, but you have to follow it up.”
“I agree,” I smiled. “And with something better, if possible.”
“So what’s this idea?” he asked.
“I was wondering if there was any scope for something on interior design,” I said, beginning to think that my idea was sounding a little lame to say the least.
“I don’t know anything about interior design,” said the editor. “But my wife is always talking about it, trying to get some ideas on how to put something into our home.”
“I know an interior designer,” I said slowly.
“Are they all superior attitude and know it all?” asked the editor.
“Very much so, unfortunately,” replied.
“Then they’ll be perfect,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll be able to do a before and after article.”
“It could take a while,” I said.
“All the better, a room a month, she’ll be in her element,” he smiled.
“How did you know she was a woman?” I asked.
“She’s my wife, I’ve been married to her for,” he paused for a moment. “A long time, in fact our anniversary is in a weeks time. I can tell her it’s an anniversary present, she’ll be over the moon.”
“Should we mention this to the others?” I asked.
“If you could send them a text?” he asked hopefully. “I would do, but I’d end up swearing at my phone again, my Grandson’s told me how to use it, several times, it makes me feel such an idiot when I forget and have to ask him.”
“How about we send it on your phone, I can give you a quick reminder on how to use it and your Grandson will think you’ve got the hang of it,” I said.
“Sounds like a plan to me,” he smiled handing over the phone.

Two days later Enid and I were standing outside her parents home.
“Are you sure you want her doing this?” asked Enid.
“The Editor didn’t think that his wife would take an interior designer seriously if she didn’t come with an ego the size of mount Everest,” I said.
“That describes her,” said Enid, knocking quietly on the door.
“They wont hear you knocking like that,” I said, as the volume of the voices from the back of the cottage rose at least another twenty decibels.
“Perhaps we should try another day,” said Enid, whilst I banged on the door hard enough to drown out what Enid and her parents were saying.
“Are you going to answer that door or do I have to,” I heard Enid’s Mother shrieking, a couple of minutes later her Father opened the door.
“I hope we haven’t come at an inconvenient time,” said Enid apologetically.
“Who is it?” yelled Enid’s Mother, before her husband could get a word out.
“It’s Enid and her daughter,” he said, sounding slightly shell shocked.
“Myrtle,” she yelled back. “God knows it’s a stupid enough name, I would’ve thought even you would remember it!”
“Hello Granny,” I shouted.
“Don’t you ever call me that,” she shouted back, running through to the front door.
“So what should I call you?” I asked.
“Natasha,” she snapped. “It is my name!”
“I didn’t know,” said Enid.
“It’s a nice name,” I said.
“Thank-you,” she replied. “Your great grandmother, Myrtle, chose it.”
“It’s better than Enid,” said Enid.
“I can’t help it, you looked like an Enid,” said Natasha.
“I think, if I have a daughter, I shall call her Natasha,” I said smiling. That got everyone’s attention.
“You aren’t are you!” asked Enid’s Father.
“No, but I might think about it one day,” I said.
“Thank God,” said Natasha and Enid together.
“So why are you two here?” Natasha asked.
“You are a interior designer,” I started.
“I am the best interior designer ever,” Natasha replied.
“I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I have been working with a magazine editor,” I said.
“I’ve seen the magazine, you’ve made a great start, but you will need something special for the next one if you want to keep the new readers,” Natasha said.
“That’s why I was thinking of you,” I said.
“What would you like me to do?” Natasha asked.
“The Editor’s wife wants their home revamped,” I smiled. “You could do a room per magazine for as long as it takes, before and after stuff and the reasoning behind the designs, that sort of thing.”
“And you thought of me!” said Natasha.
“You are the best interior designer,” I said.
“I’d be delighted,” said Natasha. “I must get to work straight away.”
“I’ll take you to see the editor and he can introduce you to his wife and their home,” I said waving my wand.
“I hope she knows what she’s doing,” said Enid’s Father.
“If anyone can pull this off it’s her,” said Enid.
“Didn’t you know your Mother’s name was Natasha?” he asked.
“I don’t remember her being anything other than Mother,” Enid replied. “And you were always Father.”
“Malcolm,” he said. “My name is Malcolm.”
“I’ll have to tell Myrtle,” Enid said. “She likes to know names.”


“Back again,” said the Editor. “And is this the interior designer you were telling me all about?”
“Yes,” I said. “This is Natasha.”
“I didn’t think she would be so young,” he said smiling. “Not that that is a problem, I don’t think my wife is the jealous kind.” They both laughed lightly and I began to wonder what I had let myself in for. “I’ll take you over to meet my wife and leave you two to it. I’m sure you wouldn’t want me getting in your way.”
“Which room do you want us to start with?” asked Natasha.
“I think my wife has a lot of ideas on that subject,” he smiled.
“Shall I whisk you both over?” I asked. “Then I can whisk you back here once the introduction have been made.”
“Sounds like a plan to me,” the Editor smiled, so I waved my wand and there we were.
“Hello,” said a little old lady. “You are the most interior designer,” she stuttered, then paused for a moment. “You must forgive me, but I am stunned, to see such a talented and glamorous lady in my humble home.”
“Your husband said that you wanted to shake things up in here,” Natasha said. “Let me help you.”
“Thank-you so much,” said the Editor’s wife. “I didn’t know where to start.”
“Which room do you think is most in need of change?” Natasha asked.
“Let me show the house and we can work for there,” said the Editor’s wife.
“We’ll leave you two to it,” said the Editor.
“Of course dear,” said his wife. “He’s not very good when it comes to homes,” she said to Natasha.
“Men seldom are,” said Natasha.
“Sorry about that,” I said waving my wand.
“Don’t worry, I’m used to it,” said the Editor when we got back to his office.
“I’d better leave you to your work,” I said.
“Don’t you want to talk to the others?” he asked.
“If you don’t mind,” I said. “I’m sure you can explain it just as well, if not better than me.”
“They said there’d been a row,” the Editor said. “But they didn’t say what it was about.”
“It’s stupid, I suppose,” I said. “But they went off celebrating the success of the first magazine and I know it was very successful.”
“But one success isn’t everything,” said the Editor.
“Yes,” I sighed.
“And they didn’t invite you along,” he added.
“I don’t suppose I’d have gone,” I said.
“But you wouldn’t have sat around waiting for them to tell you the good news either,” said the Editor.
“No,” I replied.
“And that’s why you don’t want to face them?” he asked.
“That and I’ve been up to my ears and beyond with family and I could do without having my judgement questioned for once,” I said.
“OK, I understand,” he smiled. “What will you do now?”
“Sort things with Mother,” I said.
“Good luck,” he said as I waved my wand.

By Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment