Labels

Wednesday 1 April 2020

The Fairy Godmother Part 29



As the door closed, I thought for a moment that this might be one of the places they would look for Rosie/Ella and I was about to warn them.
“You must take her somewhere else,” Jessie's Mother said.
“But,” Jessie started.
“They may start looking for her,” she replied. “And this is an obvious place that they would look.”
“I doubt if they have this address,” Jessie replied.
“Do you want to risk it?” her Mother asked.
“No,” Jessie replied. “I suppose we could go to,”
“Stop,” her Mother snapped. “If I don’t know, I can’t tell them, whoever they are. Just let me know that you are OK, if that’s possible. Remember we love you.”
“Of course,” said Jessie, putting together a few things and then heading off with her daughter.
I decided to head off back to the home, the answers lay there, of that I was sure.


“What have you found?” I asked Enid, as I appeared in the home’s office, just to one side of her.
“Did you have to do that?” Enid asked jumping. “I could have a weak heart.”
“You told me you didn’t have a heart, you’ve got a brick on a string,” I reminded her.
“You would remember that,” she muttered.
“Anyway, what have you found?” I asked.
“I have been going over the records,” said Enid.
“Did you find anything?” I asked.
“No, but then it crossed my mind that if they were doing things that they wanted to hide, they wouldn’t put them in the official records, so then I went to check her e-mails,” Enid smiled. “She has several e-mail accounts, which she uses from this machine.”
“What did you find?” I asked.
“The two accidents weren’t accidents,” said Enid. “They were planned.”
“But why?” I asked.
“I thought it might be a question of silencing the parents, the two accidents should have killed them both off,” Enid started.
“But?” I asked.
“Going by the personal e-mails of the head of the home, what they wanted was Rosie/Ella, killing off her parents was just a means to an end,” Enid said slowly.
“With them dead, she would be put in the nearest home,” I said.
“Which is exactly where they wanted her,” said Enid.
“But why?” I asked.
“That I don’t know,” said Enid. “It’s something that isn’t mentioned.”
“All the people concerned know, so there’s no need to mention it,” I said.
“Looks like we’ve run into a brick wall,” Enid sighed.
“What other e-mails does she have?” I asked. “Or did she have.”
“What do you mean?” asked Enid.
“I think we need to go back a bit, to when Ella was born, did the head of the home have other e-mail accounts then, ones that she no longer uses,”
“I see what you are thinking,” said Enid slowly, picking up her mobile phone. “I’ll have to contact the office, this laptop isn’t old enough to have been in use at that time and I can’t imagine she would keep any data from then on this computer.”
“Hello,” said to her phone. “Is our resident geek awake?”
“Difficult to say,” came the reply. “I’ll hand the phone to her.”
“I want you to chase some ancient e-mails,” Enid said.
“Would these be on an old account?” the geek asked.
“Yes,” Enid replied.
“The head of the home?” the geek asked.
“Yes,” Enid smiled.
“About Rosie and Ella or their Mother, Jessica?” she asked.
“What do you mean?” asked Enid.
“There are a lot of e-mails between Jessica’s Mother and the head of the home, from that time, though the head of the home wasn’t the head of the home then, if you see what I mean,” said the geek.
“We get the picture,” said Enid. “What is the gist of the conversations?”
“Jessica was expecting twins,” said the geek. “Her Mother was delighted, but didn’t know how they would cope with the extra work and expense. Her friend, who is now the head of the home, came up with a solution, she said she knew a couple who wanted a baby, so she could arrange to take one of them and her Mother was to tell her that one of the babies had died.”
“Her Mother agreed to that?” Enid said, a stunned look on her face.
“No, she was very much against it, but the birth was both long and difficult and afterwards the babies were rushed off to a side room, only one of them was brought back,” said the geek. “There were a lot of e-mails after that from Jessica’s Mother asking the head of the home what she had done with the baby. The head of the home denied knowing anything about the missing baby. The hospital claimed that there was only one baby born.”
“So she had the problem of how to find a baby that everyone else says didn’t exist,” said Enid. “And eventually gave up to prevent Jessica from being hurt.”
“That looks to be what happened,” the geek agreed.
“So why do they want Ella?” I asked.
“That is a good question,” said Enid.
“There is a long gap in e-mails,” said the geek.
“But they started up again?” I said.
“About a month before the accidents,” the geek replied.
“Who started them and what did they want to know?” asked Enid.
“The head of the home contacted Jessica’s Mother to ask how Ella was, specifically if she showed any of a number of symptoms,” the geek faltered slightly.
“What symptoms?” Enid snapped.
“The usual ones connected with there having been some fairy aspect to the conception,” she replied.
“Ella isn’t part fairy,” I said. “We’d know if she was.”
“She isn’t,” the geek replied. “But the twin is, I think they wanted to use Ella to help stabilise her.”
“So how come they didn’t whisk her off as soon as they got her into care?” I asked.
“That’s a good question,” Enid agreed.
“You know some fairies, they blow hot one minute and cold the next,” the geek replied, sounding somewhat evasive.
“Who is this fairy?” I asked.
“I couldn’t possibly say,” the geek replied a little too quickly for mike liking.
“Yes you could and you will, if I have to come back and ring the name out of you,” said Enid.
The name of the Head of the Fairy Council appeared on Enid’s phone.
“If asked, I didn’t tell you,” said the geek.
“I want access to those e-mails,” said Enid. “This is a gross abuse of her power.”
“Isn’t it abuse of your power to get them?” asked the geek quietly.
“I didn’t get them, you did,” Enid reminded her. “Of course, if you back me up, then I will say you were only doing what I asked you to do.”
“Just a second,” said the geek as whispering could be heard somewhere near the phone. “Sorry about that,” she said turning back to the phone. “It seems that a representative of the Fairy Council is asking for me at the desk, they have questions to ask about the research I have been doing into human e-mails.”
Enid waved her wand and we were in her office, standing just behind the geek who was looking as suspicious as anyone could look whilst talking on a mobile phone.
“Hang up,” said Enid.
“Of course,” the geek said, into the mobile phone, turned round, leapt back and almost dropped the phone.
“Do you have the e-mails?” asked Enid.
“Yes,” stuttered the geek.
“Right then we shall go to battle with the Fairy Council,” said Enid, taking the geek by her arm. “By they way, what is your name?”
“Ethel,” the geek replied. “Why, everyone calls me the geek.”
“It’s a description, not a name,” Enid replied. “And I would rather refer to you by name, Ethel.”

by Janice Nye © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment